Autumn Transition with Dina Charya
Discover your daily health plan with Dinacharya
Dinacharya is the mystical secret of the east that has all the solutions you would ever need to keep young, happy and full of energy. ‘Din’ mean ‘day’ and ’ acharya’ means wisdom – in a word – Dinacharya is the the most amazing way to create a daily routine that guarantees an enriching and energising day. Fortunately for us, Ayurveda is steeped in a multitude of techniques, practices and therapies that have the ability to totally enrich our every day experience in every way possible. The good news is that it is an all natural approach to health!
You may well know that Ayurveda is based on the 5 elements that form a combination of 3 main constitutions – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Vata people are mobile, light, dry, creative, quick thinking, light hearted and they are great communicators. People with a Pitta constitution are ambitious, good leaders, passionate, friendly and confident. Kapha people are grounded, loyal, stable, kind and loving. The following routines are designed to support all three doshas.
There are two ways of using Dinacharya. The traditional morning health sequence and the daily practices that can be used throughout your day.
The easiest way to incorporate these practices is to do one thing until it becomes a habit, and then add another, small steps are much more effective than taking on too much and not being able to commit fully.
The traditional Dinacharya health sequence
Have a go and discover the power that you can access from within. Gain greater mental clarity and improved memory and joy.
- Start your day by getting up a little earlier, 6am in the Spring & Summer, 7am in Autumn and Winter, getting to bed 30 minutes earlier, it is best to be in bed by 10pm is a goal to work towards.
- Warm water:start your day with a warm drink of water & Lemon.
- Body massage:now take a few minutes to massage your body with a warm oil (sesame oil is a good all rounder). You may wish to add essential oils too.
Warm shower: enjoy a warm shower that will allow the oil to enter deeper into the skin.
- Neti:this is a pot of warm (salty) water that will clear your head and sinuses when gently poured through one nostril to the other.
- Nasya:is where you place a small amount of ghee or sesame oil in the opening of the nostrils to help lubricate and clear the head (you can also lubricate the ears with some ghee to help the nervous system).
Dinacharya for the rest of the day!
These are tried and tested techniques that will increase your health and youthfulness and give you an abundance of energy
- Take a walk daily as this brings a sense of connection to the elements and is very Earthing
- Yoga and relaxation – this can be further developed by practising a daily sequence suitable to your mood or health focus.
- Epsom salt bath at night with 10 drops of oils of your choice added.
- Meditation aim to sit and be still for 10 minutes a day, this is a great practice to develop a sense of calm, balance and focus on the day ahead, or quiet reflection on the day.
- Regularly top up with Water and herb tea’s
- Eating in Season is so beneficial for the health, grow and cook your own wherever possible and also shop as locally as possible.
- Try juicing each day, I make a green juice daily with added supplements for energy.
Supplements or herbs that are a general all round asset to your health kit:
Triphala: This is a popular supplement that is helped to promote bowel movement. Many individuals also experience constipation and bowel irregularity.
Tumeric: Turmeric (Curcuma longa), the bright yellow of the spice rainbow, is a powerful medicine that is beneficial as an an anti-inflammatory agent to treat a wide variety of conditions, including flatulence, jaundice, menstrual difficulties, bloody urine, hemorrhage, toothache, bruises, chest pain, and colic. Superfood powders, Spirulina, Barleygrass Wheatgrass, Chia and Macca are all great added to juices and smoothies.
I hope you can try any of the above practices to help improve your health and well being. As you feel more energy, you will feel younger and lighter in mind, body and soul. Ayurveda and Herbal remedies are a great way to learn many different ways to improve your health, correct your weight, and enjoy many more years of life and abundance.